24 July 2008

Aunt Stelle's Sno Cones

This is absolutely the quintessential Dallas summer time experience. Aunt Stelle's Snow Cones
The snow cone has been elevated to an art form at this location. When I first married, my wife and I lived on Marlborough Avenue in Oak Cliff. Six blocks south at Clarendon at Marlborough is Aunt Stelle's. Not Aunt Stella's because they are very adamant about that. The snow cones are unique because of the ice shaving machine was invented by Aunt Stelle's husband (Uncle Stelle?) The syrup flavorings are made in the frame house next door. Aunt Stelle retired several years ago and her daughter runs the business.

Go now. Aunt Stelle closes down when school in DISD starts back in August. Flavors to try: Pink Lady (tastes like homemade vanilla snow ice cream) , a flavor called Popeye and Beatle. One of those tastes like licorice. I can't remember. For .75 cents, try both.
See the video here.

No comments: